Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Mary Mackey features 3/25



In The Jaguars That Prowl Our Dreams,Mary Mackey writes of life, death, love, and passion with intensity and grace. Her poems are hugely imaginative and multi-layered. Part One contains forty-eight new poems including twenty-one set in Western Kentucky from 1742 to 1975; and twenty-six unified by an exploration of the tropical jungle outside and within us, plus a surreal and sometimes hallucinatory appreciation of the visionary power of fever. Part Two offers the reader seventy-eight poems drawn from Mackey’s seven previous collections including Sugar Zone, winner of the 2012 Oakland PEN Award for Literary Excellence.

Mary Mackey recently posted the following news:

     I have a lot of good news. It's been a wild ride since September when Marsh Hawk Press published my new collection of poetry The Jaguars That Prowl Our Dreams: New and Selected Poems 1974 to 2018.
        First, Jaguars sold out the day it was published. Then it made the Small Press Distribution bestseller list. A few weeks later it won a California Institute of Integral Studies Women's Spirituality Book Award.
      Since then, I've been on public radio three times, done 36 events, and given talks on everything from creativity and craft to Mirabai, army ants, and Goddess worship in Prehistoric Europe.
     Jaguars is now into its 4th printing. On May 9th, I'll be in New York where Harpers Magazine is sponsoring a reading and interview with me at Book Culture on Columbus. But my favorite event title is the one the librarians at  California State University Sacramento came up with for an event I'm doing for them on April 10th: "Jaguars in the Library: Poetry, Passion, and Archives." Librarians you rock! It just doesn't get better than that.

"Fever and Jungles: On Becoming a Poet": I describe the strange things I see when my fever rises above 106 degrees and how these visions, combined with the jungles of Costa Rica and Brazil, turned me into a poet.


Listen to me read 27 poems from The Jaguars That Prowl Our Dreams at voetica.com, and check out Chaucer and Emily Dickinson while you're there.

No comments:

Post a Comment