Thursday, February 7, 2019

2/11/19 Carl Kopman Features



2/11/19 Carl Kopman hosted by Jim

Carl Kopman is a writer living in Berkeley, California.
He is the publisher of ~ interconnectingcircles.com/ ~
a community based web journal for writers and visual artists.
He is a founding member of The Elk Kelp Choir.


HOOTOWL


It is not me who can explain this mystery

which bemusedly I deflect with charming excuses  
explaining away a growing history
of what to some have become my many abuses.       

Toothpaste tubes left uncapped,

cookie crumbs on my lap,
messages prematurely erased from an answering machine, 
“Someone called, dear, but I can’t remember who”
inbetween increased doses of Ginko Balboa
and a wifely reminder my mind is much slower.

No this cannot be me walking this cast                                    

confusing names first and last
having to create detailed lists
of whom I liked and who I kissed
when I was young and twenty-one
and knew the difference between humiliation and fun.      

Who could have foretold that this would be me

searching the forgotten for his destiny
forgetting his keys or misplacing his morning cereal     
Wiping his mouth on inappropriate material

No this is not me growing so old

becoming a story soon to be told
by those who capture 
the generational baton

leaving behind 
what cannot move on

No comments:

Post a Comment