Tuesday, May 2, 2017

5/8/2017 Juan Sequeira & Son Juan Carlos Sequeira feature


5/8/2017 Juan Sequeira & Son Juan Carlos Sequeira hosted by Jim

(Need a prompt? "Over Troubled Waters" -- you don't have to use those words.)






Juan R. Sequeira M.D. was born in Nicaragua. He was raised in the Mission District of San Francisco. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of San Francisco and obtained a Medical degree from the University of California at San Francisco. He is a practicing Physician. He has a lifelong interest in poetry. His work  appeared in Alive, Black Bear Review, Blue Unicorn,

California Poets, Carquinez Poetry, Mobius, Poet Talk, San Fernando Poetry, ZYZZYVA among others. Two collections, Marimba Dreams 1999, and Jaguar Footsteps 2006. 2017 1st place BAPC contest 2nd place Poets Dinner.


A Memory


My mother worked

behind a splintered counter

under the volcano breath
of the gold brushed sun
her thorn pierced hands
poured water into glasses
shaved melting ice blocks
served tropic fruit drinks
to sweat painted shoppers
lullaby nights by candlelight
raised me from crib playground
to the spring nest of her arms
kissed the leaves of my feet and 


rocked me to the rosebud of sleep 




  Juan Carlos Sequeira is a 13 year old boy who has been writing poetry for 3 years. He is a resident of Pleasant Hill and attends Christ the King Catholic School where he currently stands as a 7th grade student. He has been influenced to write poetry by his father and has been taught by him ever since he heard his first poem. He says he goes outside, inhales, and feels the breeze enter and escape his lungs. After that, he sits down, and looks around for a few minutes to absorb and observe the world’s beauty. Then will he be able to write poetry to express the world and his great love for it. Poetry has always seemed simple for him, as long as he is exposed to the great outdoors, in the presence of God’s creation.  


My Night Light


Your light dances around my shelter room

my heart feels protected under your cotton shade

happiness fills me as I look up

to glistening mirrors shining on my star

your metallic structured light
spilling on my barrier windows
I look to see the moon past my shudders 


and I realize it is safe to close my eyes 

No comments:

Post a Comment